With so many different options for harnesses, it can be daunting to choose the right one for you. Here at The Crag we’ve decided to give you a guide breaking down the features of the harnesses we offer here, the Petzl Sama and Black Diamond Momentum. Read on to find out which harness is best for you!
Petzl Sama ($64.95)
The Petzl Sama has been recently redesigned to maximize comfort and durability for climbers. The upgrade in comfort comes from a wider waist-belt and leg loops with removal of seams across areas of contact, eliminating uncomfortable points of contact and chafing. Perfect for the climber that’s looking to wear a harness for an extended period of time or simply needing material that’s breathable to let out the sweat smell. Here’s why you want to buy this harness-
- ENDOFRAME Technology construction guarantees excellent weight distribution for optimal comfort:
– waistbelt and leg loops with doubled straps
– waistbelt wider on the sides
- DoubleBack Light buckle allows quick and easy adjustment of the waist-belt
- Tie-in points:
– high-tenacity polyethylene for improved resistance to rope friction
– red wear indicator on lower bridge to easily identify when the harness should be retired
- Fitted elastic leg loops give complete freedom of movement
- Equipment loops in the front provide quick access to gear while the rear are flexible to avoid creating pressure points with a backpack
- Detachable leg loop elastics
- Women’s specific model available
Black Diamond Momentum ($54.95)
Black Diamond’s Momentum is one of the most widely known entry level harnesses for the all around climber. Equipped with speed buckles for easy adjustability around the legs and dual core construction on the waist belt that maximizes comfort and support without pressure points. Here’s some great features to note about these harnesses-
- Pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle
- Bullhorn-shaped waistbelt built using Dual Core Construction
- Patent-pending trakFIT adjustment for easy leg loop customization
- Four pressure-molded gear loops
- Dual Core Construction is all about maximizing comfort and providing solid balance. This innovative design consists of two bands of webbing that split around the waist-belt, allowing for maximum support and comfort without pressure points. We use a supportive CLPE foam insert and a durable, abrasion-resistant nylon shell for versatile performance.
- Women’s specific model also available
Hopefully this guide helped you figure out the right harness for your climbing journey. Remember, our staff is always here to help, so feel free to ask us any questions you may have! Happy climbing!