We want to highlight the people that make up our growing community at The Crag. This week in Around The Crag we are featuring Houston Hatchett. Check out his interview to get to know him a little better.
1. Where are you from?
I am from Nashville… I have been in Nashville for 13 years now, and I lived in San Diego for 7 years before moving here. Before San Diego I lived in San Francisco, Hawaii, and the Philippines (Navy kid). However I was born in Washington. I find this question difficult because I can never tell whether people want to know where I was born or where I call my home.
2. How long have you been climbing?
Almost a year and a half. I started climbing after a good friend of mine built a rock wall in his house.
3. What do you love most about rock climbing?
I think the best part is finding a way to ascend a problem or route despite any physical strength or flexibility limitations. I enjoy the puzzle of climbing.
4. Other than climbing, what are your hobbies and interests?
I enjoy spending time with my family, my friends from church, and the people at the Crag. My hobbies include shooting (IDPA), fishing, making things, swimming, playing ping pong, and pretty much anything competitive that I am even moderately good at.
5. Do you have a spirit animal? If so, what is it and why?
No but I most relate to a lion. I am fiercely protective of my family and friends, but I am otherwise laid back.
6. Sir Edmund HIllary or Tanzig Norgay? Please defend.
Sir Edmund Hillary because I can relate to him more. He was a math and science nerd, liked to fight, and liked to read books.
7. What is the name of your autobiography?
“(Don’t) Limit Yourself”
8. Do you prefer the smell of fresh cut grass or burning leaves? Please explain.
Good ‘ole fresh cut grass. Its the smell of getting stuff done, and reminds me of a hot early summer day.
9. Are you on instagram, twitter, etc.? If so, how can people find you?